DONATE ONLINE AND HELP SUPPORT OUR TERRIFIC STUDENT VOLUNTEERS' PROJECTS IN LATIN AMERICA
If you are looking for a fantastic summer experience, you’ve come to the right place! The Peninsula Chapter prepares high school and college students from Mountain View / Los Altos north to San Bruno for immersing themselves in Latin American culture, and to designing and leading community inspired projects in collaboration with US and Latin American peers and partner organizations over the summer. Get out of your element and experience the world!
The Peninsula Chapter recruits Amigos participants from September into December. Our training program begins in January and winds up in May just before the summer projects kick off. We invite students and their parents to attend one of our Informational Meetings (held in the fall) to learn about the Amigos experience and the chapter training program. If you have any questions about the Peninsula Chapter, please don’t hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL DONATIONS TO SUPPORT OUR PARTICPANTS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE
Peninsula Chapter covers the cost to support our participants’ projects in Latin America through a combination of product sales, direct appeal donations, and a family fee contribution – a portion of which is tax deductible. We chose these activities to maximize our ability to provide the AMIGOS experience to all participants without regard to family financial circumstances. All participants are required to fully take part in each fundraising activity as fundraising skills are an important component of the AMIGOS training program and to raise awareness of AMIGOS programs in the community.
AMIGOS Peninsula participants raise funds through the sale of grapefruit and fair-trade chocolates and coffee from Latin America. This effort primarily takes place in November and December for the holiday season. Participants receive considerable help with regard to sales strategies, and the experience gained in this effort will definitely build important skills!
For more information, contact email@example.com.
LETTER WRITING/DONOR CONTACTS
Each participant is also required to send out a combination of letters and email invitations to donate through an online fundraising page to at least 120 friends and family, to request individual tax-deductible donations (the revenue from this effort is pooled). Letters are written by the participant with considerable help provided by the chapter during the process.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
FAMILY FEE $3,450
- Group fundraising participation required
- Payment plan options and financial assistance available
- Returning participants receive a $365 discount
THE PROGRAM FEE INCLUDES:
- Chapter training materials and workshops
- Visa fees, where required
- Secondary short-term international medical insurance
- Round-Trip International and Domestic Airfare
- Food, lodging, and transportation in Latin America
- Program excursions and trainings
- Supplies for community project and extracurricular activities
- Cots and mosquito nets
- 24-hour emergency support system
THE PROGRAM FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Immunizations and pre-travel medical examinations
- Passport fees
AMIGOS actively recruits and supports inclusion of participants from diverse backgrounds across race, nationality, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, religion, age, gender, and sexual orientation. AMIGOS provides needs-based financial assistance with distribution determined by family income, number of dependents and special financial circumstances. We provide amounts of up to $3450 to qualified applicants as deductions to the family fee. All participants are required to participate in the fundraising efforts of the chapter. Financial assistance applications are due on October 13th, 2015. Please contact email@example.com for additional information.
The transformative AMIGOS experience starts before leaving home.
With 50 years of experience preparing young people for travel and service abroad, AMIGOS training offers unparalleled global youth leadership development. Pre-departure training equips participants with the critical thinking, communication skills, and technical knowledge they need to make a meaningful impact across cultures while staying healthy and safe. The Peninsula Chapter AMIGOS training is youth-led, experiential learning that prepares participants for their AMIGOS experience, builds a community of youth and families with shared values, and develops life-skills to help participants succeed beyond AMIGOS. Training sessions are facilitated by the Training Team and include guest speakers from the community and the Peninsula Chapter Board of Directors.
The Peninsula Chapter incorporates service learning into the AMIGOS training to add depth and first-hand experience to the curriculum. Service learning is a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility and strengthen communities. Participants will:
- Design an individualized tutoring program for an elementary school student to provide academic assistance
- Serve as mentors
- Be involved in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of two Saturday morning educational programs for elementary school students.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TRAINING PROGRAM INCLUDE:
- Unparalleled leadership development
- Cross-cultural awareness and understanding
- Hands-on training for technical aspects of the program
- Extensive health and safety training
- Opportunities to practice Spanish
- Creating a community of young people with shared values
THE TIME COMMITMENT FOR TRAINING ACTIVITIES INCLUDES:
- Six parent/participant monthly meetings (1-2 hours weeknights, usually on Thursday)
- Six Sunday workshops for participants (2-6 hours)
- Two overnight and one full-day weekend retreats
- Two Saturday morning service learning commitments, 6 hours of private tutoring, and a wrap-up Science Fair/party on a weeknight
- Four online assessments to determine readiness for the summer
Check out the Chapter Training Calendar for tentative training dates
PENINSULA CHAPTER Board of Directors
Service Learning Coordinator
Product Sales Coordinator
Direct Appeal Coordinator
Senior Training Staff